Who is the Monkey?

My photo
Working at a Chinese based/managed company in the United States definitely has its special moments, I mean, how can you break it to a communist CEO that there are actual employment regulations? Honestly, I sort of just got offered this position... but, from hiring, negotiating, reprimanding, firing, investigations, surviving HR in a shady company, dropping at least 5 F-bombs on a solicitor's call, going through boxes of tissue for crying employees, to arguing with management why "pretty" receptionists don't necessarily mean "smart" receptionists... I've done it... and somehow, I'm still laughing.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Approach With Caution!

“Why are you in HR?”


This should be something which you should ask yourself, and answer it truthfully…. BLAH BLAH BLAH…


Originally, that was the start to this blog - I published and posted it. It went on about how I came to HR equipped only with my background in management and a HELL of a lot of research. Then I thought to myself… ‘I’m not an expert’. I can help and advise, but by all means, I can’t being to think about hand holding lost HR personnel souls and placing an hourly charge for blabbing.

So, I tossed the idea of coming off as a guru. By all means, I’m more than happy to answer any questions, but I approach HR differently… I make it FUN. I make it fun because essentially... my company is fucked up. And, damn it if no one's going to take this job, the employees will be in a bad position. Mother Theresa, move over.

Essentially, my mission is to make the workplace bearable and … FUN, sometimes – even HAPPY. I don’t look at employees as a resource, but at the same time I know who pays my bills. I have been in a nice balancing act.

From hiring, negotiating, reprimanding, firing, DFEH investigations, surviving HR in a shady company, dropping at least 5 F-bombs on a solicitor's call, to arguing with management why "pretty" receptionists don't necessarily mean "smart" receptionists... I've done it!


On this blog, you’ll find all the shit about HR which I find ridiculous, humorous, or just helpful. And, yes – I have the mouth of a sailor, but I despise the thought that HRians (that’s my term for personnel) never say such profanity.

My mantra...

  1. HAVE FUN: We’re at work for a good portion of our day (our life really), so why not make it fun?
  2. BE APPROACHABLE: Take the open-door policy for everything its worth!
  3. GET DOWN TO BUSINESS: The bottom line is – you’re employed by the company, so keep it running.
  4. DO GOOD: I try to think of employees sort of like children - someone's gotta take care of them.